Fresh Tomato Salsa with Coriander, Chilli and Spring Onions
This chilli tomato salsa is an amazingly fresh side dish that you can add to almost any meal. Whether you serve it hot or cold it is super fast and easy to make. And with very few ingredients this Mexican-style relish will still tantalize your taste buds.
Simple but Perfect
I have always been amazed at how simple, yet well-matched ingredients can combine to create such a taste experience as this salsa does. It really is as simple as chopping your tomatoes (which you have the option of blanching to remove the skin) and your onions, chilli and coriander. Throw it all together with a dash of fresh lemon or lime juice and voila!
You can decide to serve your chilli tomato salsa hot or cold, and place it alongside almost any meal. My favourite is Falafel but it is equally divine served with most vegetables, meats and breads. Its list of uses are endless but just to give you a few ideas, you can:
- Stuff a baked potato with salsa
- Serve it with eggs for breakfast (super yummy in an omelette).
- Use it as a base paste for pizza
- Add it mixed into or on top of a soup dish.
Tomato Salsa: The Healthy Choice
To top it off this chilli tomato salsa is full of health benefits, especially when using fresh, raw ingredients. Tomatoes are full of lycopene, an antioxidant linked to preventing diseases such as cancer. The fresh coriander promotes good digestion and gut health. Spring onion is an excellent source of fibre. And don’t even get me started on the endless stream of health perks that fresh chilli has to offer!
- 250 g Fresh Whole Tomatoes Chopped
- 3 Spring Onions Finely chopped
- 1 Green or Red Chilli Deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander Finely chopped
- Sea Salt To taste
- Mix all the ingredients together, except the salt.
- Leave to Marinade for at least 20 minutes.
- You have the option to now fry the salsa in a tablespoon of olive oil for 2-5 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- Serve and eat on the same day.