Tender Celery with Parmesan and Almonds
Celery based meals such as this celery almondine are not something you see every day, But that doesn’t mean it isn’t totally delicious! With few simple ingredients, this light and nutritious meal can have your hunger satisfied and your body fueled with nutrients.
The Health Benefits of Celery
We often overlook celery as an ingredient because of its strong taste. But like any food, when cooked right and paired with complementing flavours it can produce an amazing taste sensation.
Never mind that it is rich in health benefits. It contains cancer fighting antioxidants. Reduces cholesterol levels and blood pressure. Boosts the body with anti-inflammatories and aids the digestive system with its moderate fibre content. Celery has even been known to assist with weight loss and acne.
Its Simple to Make Celery in an Almondine Style
This particular celery almondine recipe pairs the sharp flavours of celery with soft and creamy parmesan cheese and the smooth taste of roasted almonds. And with few ingredients and a relatively simple method, you can enjoy a stress-free cooking experience.
First, we make a warm flavourful garlic infused liquid by frying the garlic in ghee and adding the stock. Then, layer your celery at the bottom of a large saucepan and pour this aromatic juice over it. The celery is left to cook until soft before draining, plating and dressing it with cheese, almonds and black pepper.
Then it’s just a quick grill to melt the cheese and toast the almonds and voila! You have a delicious and nutritious meal that will leave you feeling great after eating!
- 6-8 stalks Celery
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 250 ml Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 150 g Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 100 g Almonds
- Ghee or the Oil of Your Choice For cooking
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper To taste
- Trim the celery stalks and cut them into approximately 10 cm long pieces. Then slice them in half lengthways.
- Layer the celery in the bottom of a large frying pan.
- In another pan, fry the garlic in ghee for 2-5 minutes.
- Add the stock to your garlic pan and bring to a boil.
- Pour your garlic stock mix over the celery, bring to a boil. Then reduce heat, cover and leave to simmer for 30 minutes or until the celery is soft.
- Heat the grill.
- Drain the celery and place on a heat-proof serving dish.
- Top the celery with parmesan, almonds and black pepper. Then pop it under the grill until the almonds have gone golden.
- Serve immediately.