Beef mince, eggs, and bread crumbs are the main ingredients needed in order to achieve this rich and succulent meatloaf dish that will have your mouth watering.
This meaty dish is loaded with protein from its main component of beef mince. If you are wanting a healthier meatloaf, opt for a lean beef mince to avoid excess fat.
What is so great about this beef meatloaf is that it is basically foolproof- all you have to do is mix the ingredients together, cook, and voila! This recipe suggests that you spice the beef mince with onion, garlic, oregano, Italian parsley, and thyme leaves, but feel free to add whichever spices you desire!
The meatloaf is brushed with a tomato and tabasco sauce glaze. This creates so much more depth to the flavour profile- the sweetness of the tomato sauce combined with the spiciness of the tabasco sauce brings out the flavour of the meat perfectly. However, if you are feeling extra adventurous bake your meatloaf in a deep dish and add some grated cheese to the top for a perfectly cheesy topping that has been grilled to a crispy golden brown. Serve with any chutney as an added extra for your guests to bring a sweeter element to the meatloaf.
Pair this meal with a complementary red wine, such as a Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon and go on the ultimate meaty taste adventure!
Classic Beef Meatloaf
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic cloves finely chopped
- 500 gram beef mince lean
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 75 gram bread crumbs fresh
- 75 ml milk
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Italian parsley freshly chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano fresh
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves fresh
- 125 ml tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- olive oil extra virgin
- Spray and Cook
- Heat the oven to 170°C / 338°F
- In a large bowl, combine all the meatloaf ingredients
- Using your hands, mix all the ingredients for the meatloaf
- Grease a baking tray with Spray and Cook, and drizzle a little olive oil and place the mince on the tray
- Shape the mince into a small breadloaf
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes
- Mix the ketchup and hot sauce to make the glaze, then brush thickly over the top of the meatloaf
- Return to the oven for 15 minutes more or until cooked through
- Rest the meatloaf for 5 minutes, still on the tray.