The Kassler, or more commonly known as smoked pork chops, is a German pork dish that is smoked over Beechwood, resulting in a lovely sweet yet smokey flavour! This Smoked Kassler, Bacon and Cheese Sausage Pea Soup is a marvellously meaty (and certainly unique) soup that delivers indulgent and rich, yet easily palatable flavours and textures.
This wholesome soup consists of smoked pork chops, bacon and cheese sausages, split peas, onions, and carrots, and is certainly not lacking in the flavour department. This soup dish is of great nutritional value due to the fact that it is loaded with protein due to its high content of peas and pork as the main ingredients.
This soup does take a lengthy hour and 45 minutes in total to make, but results in a hearty, meaty, and rich soup that is loaded with protein and vegetables. Super tasty yet also super healthy! This recipe also contains 8 servings, so it is perfect for the entire family to enjoy, or for your weekly meal prep (trust us, you will look forward to it every day). It truly is so worth your while to make!
As the winter approaches, make this sensational soup for your friends and family.
- 1 cup dry split peas rinsed and drained after they have been soaked overnight
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery sliced into small pieces
- 1 large onion cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 kg Kessler pork chops chopped
- 500 g bacon and cheese pork sausages sliced
- Black Pepper
- 50 ml Lemon juice
- Parsley for garnishing
- Place a large saucepan on medium heat, add the oil and heat.
- Braise the pork sausages, remove and set them aside.
- Braise the chopped Kessler pork chops until nicely browned, remove and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, stir-fry the chopped celery, carrots, onions, and garlic.
- When onions are translucent, add the meat, soaked split peas, and water.
- Cook for about 1 to 2 hours, stirring now and then until meat is falling apart.