Spaghetti Bolognese is a classic dish that is loved by so many all around the world…and for good reason! This recipe features a perfectly al dente spaghetti pasta and bolognese sauce that is loaded with flavour and texture. It is too good not to love!
This Spaghetti Bolognese includes many different vegetables adding to the overall nutritional value of the pasta, therefore boasting a well-balanced meal. This recipe uses carrots and celery to flavour the sauce and add texture. The bolognese also consists of perfectly grilled golden bacon bits that create a richer, more indulgent sauce.
The bolognaise sauce itself is flavoured with tomatoes and tomato puree, basil leaves, dried oregano, bay leaves, chilies, beef stock, and red wine. We suggest you pick a Chianti or Pinot Noir. Chianti is an Italian wine that pairs well with this dish of the same origin. It is made from Sangiovese grapes, and contains a full range of flavours such as cherry and even tobacco leaves. Pinot Noir is a subtler wine with a slightly nuanced fruity and earthy mushroom flavour that won’t overwhelm the other complex flavours in the dish.
A great optional extra is diced green pepper to add some extra crunch and freshness to your dish!
- 1 kg beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 rashers smoked streaky bacon finely chopped
- 4 medium onions finely chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped finely
- 4 sticks celery finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary leaves finely chopped
- 1600 g plum tomatoes (4x cans)
- A handful of fresh basil leaves chopped finely, and a few leaves set aside for garnishing
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 cup good quality beef stock
- 2 red chili's deseeded and finely chopped
- 250 ml red wine
- 150 g parmesan grated, plus extra to serve
- 800 g spaghetti
- salt and black pepper
- Place a large saucepan on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add finely chopped bacon rashers and stir-fry for 10 mins until golden and crisp.
- Reduce the heat and add the onions, carrots, celery sticks, garlic, and rosemary, and stir-fry for 10 mins. Stirring continuously.
- Now increase the heat to medium, add 500g beef mince, using a large spoon or fork, stir the meat around for about 5 minutes until the meat is completely browned all over.
- Add the rest of the ingredients; tomatoes, chopped basil, oregano, bay leaves, tomato purée, beef stock, chili, and red wines. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 1 hour 30 minutes or more, stirring occasionally until you have a rich, thick sauce.
- Add the grated parmesan, season to taste. just before serving.
- It is always a good idea to cook the spaghetti before you want to serve it. Cook the spaghetti by following the instructions on the packet.
- Drain the spaghetti, you can stir the spaghetti into the bolognese sauce or serve the sauce on top.
- Season to taste. Serve with more grated parmesan on top.