This classic number is a spicy and flavoursome pasta dish that is a healthier version of your usual penne pasta. This Bacon and Mushroom Arrabbiata pasta is made with lentil penne, a great pasta alternative that is free from gluten and higher in dietary fibre, yet still full of flavour and texture!
Eating whole-bean pasta over regular white pasta has tons of health benefits. Not only is it almost two times higher in protein and fibre than regular pasta, but it is packed with iron, which is especially great for vegetarians and vegans, as they might be missing iron in their diet due to meat-free meals. The high amount of protein in the lentil pasta helps with immune system maintenance, and muscle and connective tissue repair. The extra amount of fibre in the pasta contributes to a feeling of being fuller for longer, which can aid in weight loss or weight maintenance.
The lovely Arrabbiata sauce is created with a base of tomato and chilies. The chili adds a slight bite to the aromatic tomato sauce, but you can use as much or as little as you would prefer to achieve your perfect level of heat. Bacon and mushrooms are added to the pasta, creating added texture, as well as a meaty flavour from the bacon, and an earthy taste from the mushrooms. However, you can choose whichever meats and veggies you would like to include in your pasta.
This pasta dish really boasts guilt free succulence and enjoyment- you need not hesitate at all about eating this scrumptious meal!
Bacon and Mushroom Arrabbiata with Lentil Penne Pasta
- 2 large onions
- 1 tin whole tomatoes
- 250 gram brown mushrooms any mushrooms will do
- 5 – 10 green & red chillis as per your preference
- 2 sachets tomato paste
- 2 packets back bacon
- 250 gram red lentil penne 1 box
- olive oil extra virgin
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp sugar
- parmesan cheese to serve
- 250 ml sour cream optional, to serve
- Chop the onions, chillis, and mushrooms.
- Heat a saucepan and add olive oil and garlic
- Once hot, add onions and bacon and fry until cooked
- Add mushrooms and tomatoes until softened and the juices release
- Add chilli, salt, pepper and herbs
- Lastly, add tomato paste and sugar and cook through.
Lentil Penne Pasta
- Add water to a medium to a large pot and bring to a boil
- Add a dash of olive oil and a pinch of salt
- Add in the pasta and cook for 7-9 minutes or until al dente
- Dish up pasta and sauce
- Add parmesan or sour cream as preferred