Many people find that baking their own Hot Cross Buns is a daunting task that they would rather not get involved in and prefer to buy the store-bought packs instead. However, that shouldn’t mean that your store-bought pack should be dull. So, if you’re pushed for time or just not ready to take on the challenge of baking them yourself here is a great way to make it your own.
Hot Cross Buns are simple enough to zhoosh up at home. So simple in fact that you only require a few ingredients and an oven. Before you know it you’ll be celebrating and enjoying your Easter treats with your family and friends and getting some serious credit for your next level Hot Cross Buns.
If, however, you consider yourself more of a baker and are up for the challenge you can always make and bake your own from scratch.
Chefs Tip for Chocolate Hot Cross Buns baked in Cream Sauce
If you’re planning on wowing the crowd with these decadent little morsels this Easter, go the extra mile and add some vanilla ice cream to break the rich and intense chocolatey taste. Another not so unrelated tip: make sure to buy more than one pack as your family or guests will be asking for a second portion.
- 250 ml milk
- 250 ml cream
- 125 ml strong black coffee
- 2 eggs
- 8 Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / 338°F – Fan oven to (160°C / 320°F
- Grease your dessert oven dish.
- Whisk the eggs.
- On Medium heat add the milk, cream, and coffee. Warm the milk mixture slowly to almost medium heat, be careful to not make it too hot, then add spoon by spoon the eggs. Set aside.
- Spread the inside of the hot cross buns with butter, arrange them in your oven dish.
- Slowly pour the warm milk mixture onto the hot cross buns and bake for 40 minutes.