Mild family-friendly Chicken Masala with apples and sweet potatoes mashed up for a delicious sweet-and-spicy sauce.
- 1 kg chicken
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 3 tbsp Cape Malay curry spice add more if you need more heat
- 2 medium-sized apples chopped
- 3 bananas sliced
- 1 sweet potato or potato chopped
- 2 tbsp white apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornflour Maizena
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Sauté the onions in a drizzle of olive oil together with the ginger
- Just before adding the chicken, add another drizzle of olive oil and Cape Masala spice
- Fry spices for two minutes then add the chicken
- Sauté the chicken before stirring, giving it a moment to seal
- When it has reached the stage where it is nice and brown, add 1 cup of water before placing the lid on for 10 minutes on low heat
- After 10 minutes take the pot off the heat and shred the chicken meat with 2 forks
- Return to the heat, add apples, sweet potato, jam and vinegar then cover
- If the chicken mixture is too dry, add another cup of water so that the vegetables and apples can soften
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until apple and sweet potato are soft
- When apples and sweet potato are soft, mash with a fork
- The sweet potato thickens the sauce
- Add the Maizena, pre-mixed with 1 cup of water, then the bananas to the chicken and stir, cover, and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes
- Serve with plain boiled rice. Garnish with one or two sprigs of fresh coriander.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Not satisfied yet? Keep searching for delicious recipes here.