You will be won over by the simplicity and tastiness of this Chicken and Capers dish, it might even become a regular meal in your household!
One Pot, Less Clean Up!
This entire dish is made in one pot! Which means less clean up and fuss for you! Once the chicken pieces are pounded, seasoned, and dredged, they are cooked in the pan on both sides until they have a golden brown and crispy coating. Once the chicken is cooked, they are taken out of the pot, and more oil, along with the onions and garlic are added. The sauce is made by adding lemon juice and chicken stock and boiling. Then, once the sauce has reduced and thickened, the coconut cream, capers, and cooked chicken are added back into the pot and simmered until hot. You should be left with tender chicken pieces in a thick and creamy sauce.
Tenderizing the Chicken
An important step for this recipe is to pound the chicken pieces before you do anything else. The chicken pieces are pounded as this will ensure that they are of an even thickness, and therefore cook evenly. This process also ensures that, as the pieces cook evenly, the chicken pieces will not overcook and be dry and tough. The pounding therefore works as a technique to tenderize the chicken.
Serve this easy chicken dish on a bed of rice of your choice, and with some fresh broccoli or cauliflower on the side.
- 6 skinless Chicken Breasts, sliced and pounded until desired thickness
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup cornflour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 small onion – chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lemon, only the juice
- ½ cup coconut cream
- ¼ cup capers drained
- lemon wedges to serve (optional)
- freshly chopped herbs to garnish (optional)
- Season the pounded chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides. Place the cornflour in a shallow bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working with one cutlet at a time, dredge the chicken on both sides in the flour. Shake off the excess flour, and add them to the skillet.
- Cook the chicken for 4 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through and the coating is golden brown. Transfer the browned chicken to a plate, and set aside.
- In the same pan, lower the heat to medium-low, and add the remaining tablespoon of oil, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are softened.
- Add the chicken stock and lemon juice, and scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a silicone spatula. Raise the heat to medium-high, and boil the mixture for 3 minutes, until reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the coconut cream and capers, add back the chicken into the sauce. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, over low heat, or until heated through. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- *Serve warm over cooked rice of your choice.