The perfect quick and easy side dish for plenty of warm Winter meals, this Roasted Cauliflower dish boasts the most perfectly golden pieces of deliciously seasoned and fresh cauliflower. This dish can be ready in under 40 minutes, and will work well with any dish you wish to serve it with!
A Basic Dish, Four Ways!
Roasted cauliflower can be done in so many ways, with lots of different types of seasoning and toppings. This recipe shows how you can create a classic roasted cauliflower dish, as well as an Italian, Mexican, and Indian version too! You can spice your roasted cauliflower in so many different ways with just a mix of spices. For the basic roasted cauliflower, olive oil, and salt and pepper is used, but you can also add garlic if you wish. Parmesan cheese, cayenne pepper, parsley, and lemon zest are used for the Italian version, cumin, garlic powder, coriander, mixed nuts and seeds, as well as lemon zest are used for the Mexican version, and cumin, curry powder, and coriander are used for the Indian version. These are just some ways you can enjoy your cauliflower, feel free to mix it up!
Cutting Your Cauliflower
A great way to ensure that your cauliflower roasts to golden, crispy, and caramelized goodness, is to slice it into thinner, bite-sized pieces that will sit flat against the roasting dish. This will ensure that caramelization occurs, and will then result in even more flavor in your roasted cauliflower. Just remember to turn them over once they are halfway roasted!
Enjoy this dish as a healthy snack, or pair it with a steak fillet, roast chicken, or lamb chops meal! It will complement whatever you serve it with perfectly!
Basic roasted cauliflower
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2-3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Italian version
- ¾ cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- finely grated lemon zest, for garnish
- cayenne pepper
For the Mexican version
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- mixed nuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, or any other of your choice
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- finely grated lime zest
For the Indian version
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 435° F = 223° C and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- To prepare the cauliflower, use a chef’s knife to slice off the base, quarter it into four even wedges, slice off just the inner core areas, leaving the rest intact.
- Cut across each piece to make 5c slices, then use your fingers to break apart any florets that are stuck together.
Basic cauliflower roast
- Place the cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and some pepper, then toss until the ingredients are evenly distributed and the cauliflower is lightly coated in oil, adding another drizzle of oil only if necessary.
- Arrange the cauliflower in an even layer and bake until it’s deeply golden on the edges, tossing halfway about 20 to 25 minutes.
- arrange the cauliflower in an even layer and bake for 15 minutes then remove from the oven, toss, and then sprinkle the Parmesan over the cauliflower.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cauliflower is deeply golden on the edges, about 10 to 20 more minutes, sprinkle the cauliflower with parsley, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes.
- sprinkle the cauliflower with cumin and chili powder and toss until well blended and then arrange the cauliflower in an even layer and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, toss, and sprinkle the nuts over the center area of the pan (if you sprinkle them too close to the edges, they might burn).
- Return to the oven and bake until the cauliflower is deeply golden on the edges, about 10 to 15 more minutes, sprinkle the cauliflower with coriander and lemon zest.
- sprinkle the cauliflower with curry powder and toss until well blended then arrange the cauliflower in an even layer and bake until it’s deeply golden on the edges, tossing halfway about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cauliflower with coriander and red pepper flakes.