Broccoli might not be everyone’s choice of yum, but there is no denying its nutritional value, which might be reason enough to create this salad as a healthy side option for the family. This Crispy Broccoli salad boasts health and freshness, and if you do enjoy this colourful veggie, this salad is perfect for you!
Broccoli contains a multitude of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, A, E, K, and B, as well as folic acid. This cruciferous vegetable is also a great source of protein and fiber. This broccoli salad also contains gherkins and cucumbers, which are low in calories and high in antioxidants, which are responsible for preventing or delaying cell damage. Cucumbers also contain a high amount of water and therefore are a good source of hydration and means to promote weight loss.
This recipe calls for the mix of both broccoli florets and tender stems, allowing for a variation of taste and texture! The stems account for a lovely crunch and a sweetness for the palate.
This Crispy Broccoli salad is so healthy yet so quick and easy to make. The most time consuming part of the process is chopping the ingredients and boiling the broccoli. Once that is done, ingredients can be thrown together, seasoned, and voila! You’ve got yourself one healthy, fresh, and tasty salad in only 25 minutes!
- 700 g Broccoli Florets
- 230 g Broccoli Tender Stems
- 10 small Pickled Gherkins
- 1 large English Cucumber
- 100 ml 100ml Extra Virgin Oil
- 50 ml 50ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp crushed Garlic
- 1 Lime, juice and rind
- Since we are using fresh heads of broccoli for this recipe, we need to break them down into small florets.
- Florets are the flowery part of the head. We don’t want to use the trunk or large branches here, so remove any leaves or thick stems.
- Cut through the stem below the florets with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Slice off the florets that are easily separated with your knife if they are too large.
- Turn the remaining bunch of florets upside down on your cutting board, and slice down through the middle of the stalk. Pull the two halves apart.
- Trim the larger stems off with the tip of your knife. Wash the broccoli tender stems and leave as it is, cut the stems in half also to be used for the salad.
- I like to add all the broccoli to boiling water for about 3 minutes on medium heat, drain and let it cool. Add to your salad bowl.
- Thoroughly rinse the cucumber in cool water. remove the skin. Lay the cucumber on a cutting board and cut the cucumber in half lengthwise with a sharp knife. Gently scoop out the seeds by gliding the tip of a spoon or a butter knife across the length of the flesh. Be careful to only remove the seeds and not too much of the flesh. Slice all the cucumber and add to the salad.
- Slice the gherkins and add to the rest of the salad.
- Mix carefully.
- Combine the dressing ingredients, mix well, taste and season, if needed, add more ingredients for a tangier taste.
- Add the dressing before serving, or if you prefer, serve the salad dressing separately.