Tandoori chicken is the perfect way to enjoy a warm and aromatic chicken dish. These Tandoori Chicken Drumsticks are served with a sweet and savory peach chutney and are cooked and ready to serve in just over an hour!
What is Tandoori Chicken?
Tandoori Chicken is an Indian chicken dish that is made by marinating chicken in yoghurt and spices and was traditionally prepared by roasting it in a clay oven– a ‘tandoor’, which is where the name originated from, but the chicken can be simply roasted in a regular oven. For this recipe, spices such as paprika, masala, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric, cayenne pepper, and chopped ginger are briefly sautéed until fragrant, and added to plain yoghurt and lime juice and zest in a blender to make the marinade. Chicken drumsticks are used in this recipe as the fat content helps them stay moist under the grill. If chicken breasts are used they will dry out. You can also use bone-in thighs. The chicken drumsticks are coated in the marinade and left in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. The purpose of letting the chicken marinate for so long is to ensure that the moisture from the yoghurt seeps into the chicken and tenderizes it, as well as to ensure that the chicken takes on the flavors of the spices.
Making the Peach Chutney
Peach chutney can be made in a variety of ways, but the simplest would be to start by dicing onion, peach, and garlic, and cook with fragrant spices such as ginger, cinnamon, ground cardamom, and some brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. This mixture should cook for 5-10 minutes in a pan until thick, and there should still be chunks of peach. The chutney should be sweet and savory, but if you find it too sweet, you can add some salt or even some ground cumin to it.
This Tandoori chicken is the perfect way to spice up your chicken dishes and add some excitement to your palate. The warm and aromatic flavors will be a delight for anyone who tries this dish. Serve it with some tomato, chili, and onion sambals with poppadoms on the side.
Tandoori Chicken Drumstick with Peach Chutney
- 12 or more chicken drumsticks If using more drumsticks, double the ingredients accordingly
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp masala, anyone, the meat masala will work too or substitute with curry
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped ginger
- 8 cloves of garlic cloves roughly chopped
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 lime zest the juice should be about 2 tablespoons
- ¼ cup oil
- peach chutney
- few sprigs of fresh coriander for garnishing
- Lime wedges to serve
- If you want to remove the skin of the drumsticks, grasp the meaty end of the drumstick. Pull the skin down and off the end. When you're finished with the pieces, make sure to wash your hands to prevent the spread of bacteria.
- In a small saucepan on medium heat at all the spices can saute for a few minutes until the spices are fragrant
- Add all the spices to a blender with the yogurt, lime zest, and juice, process to almost smooth
- Using a sharp knife, make about 2 slashes in every chicken drumstick
- Place the drumstick in a large bowl and toss with the marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 220C / 450F (less heat for fan ovens)
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a rack over the top. Spray the rack with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange the chicken on the rack, leaving a bit of space between. Add the leftover marinade to the chicken drumsticks. Roast for about 45 minutes, turn the drumsticks and place them under the grill for about 4 to 6 minutes.
- *Serve with peach chutney and salads.